Logo

OLD TARBLE

Swarthmore College

By integrating the design of building and landscape, this addition to Old Tarble Hall on the Swarthmore College campus reconfigured the relationship between building and context. This 1920’s rubble stone masonry structure was once an addition to the College library; when a new library was built in the 1960’s, the original library was converted to a student center, and was then destroyed by fire in 1980, leaving only the addition standing. Converted to classroom use for the art program, the building stood on a prominent site on campus but was isolated by its entrance configuration and by the stuccoed remains of the fire wall that saved it. This project, a design collaboration between CICADA and ML Baird Landscape Architects, reincarnated Old Tarble as a campus destination while increasing its usable program space by nearly 25%.

<<   |   >>