- Sacred Spaces Civic Places Event - with CICADA and St. James School
- Come visit us!
- Early Learning Gets Physical
- Architects Action Day 2017
- Shaping the Visitor Experience
- CICADA's Geoff Klein Receives Architectural License!
- Collaborative Firm Volunteer for Mixed-Use Building
- Celebrating 10th PARK(ing) Day Philadelphia
- We're Hiring!
- Kebony's Top 100 Architecture Firm Blogs
- Community Revitalization: How to Bring a Community Back from the Brink, In the Age of Gentrification
- Project HOME's Hub of Hope Doors Open January 2018
- Phase I of Rivera Recreation and Mann Older Adult Center Breaks Ground
- Mary Holland, AIA recently attended the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Summit in Washington, D.C. Here’s her takeaway
- Benchmark School INNOVATION SPACE Groundbreaking
- Dox Thrash House
- We're Hiring!
- Work at PHA's Mann Rivera - Phase 1 Under Way!
- Leverage 2018 Sponsorship and Gala!
- CICADA Designer Dana Rice on RePoint Philadelphia and Preservation in Design and Development
- Offering Hope to the Homeless with Hub of Hope
- PHA's North Central Phase II Site Visit!
- Mary Holland at SCUP in Nashville TN
- CICADA and DesignPhila Open Studio Crawl!
- CICADA at the 22nd Annual Bowling Ball!
- Ribbon Cutting at Vernon Road Shopping District
- Celebrating the Challenge of Difficult Spaces
- NGBS Task Force
- Revitalizing North Central Philadelphia
- Philadelphia University Advancement Council
- Abandoned Woolworth + Leap of Faith = School for City Kids
- How You Make an Impact
- PennDesign Women in Architecture
- Passive House Designers
- Accessibility in Older Buildings
- Quality Child Care Space
- Analyzing Wall Assemblies
- Buildings As Radiators
How You Make an Impact
What we do is an extension of ourselves. Whether it’s a book club, playing soccer, building furniture, or baking. We all find something, or many things, that keep oneself in equilibrium and a state of order. For me, I’m in the boat of “many things–” two boards, three committees, a neighborhood group, two major events, studying for my Architectural Registration Exams (AREs), and currently in the later stages of potty training a toddler. Wow! It’s not until you list it all at once the affirmation kicks in and begs the question, “how am I doing all that?” Besides an updated calendar and negotiations on kid pick-up, it can be done if you believe in the missions supporting those commitments.
The energy and passion I bring to these commitments comes from a desire to create fulfilling experiences for others. Whether it be an experience for peer volunteers, volunteers I lead, or staff members supporting volunteers. But most rewarding is when my service impacts a community of people that have similar interests in making change for the greater good–the emerging professionals of the local AIA Chapter, families and neighbors of the public elementary school, or the groups creating parks for PARK(ing) Day. Their excitement and success keeps me coming back year after year.
For me, my involvement is also a way meet new people whether in our industry or not. As an emerging professional it allows me to meet and interact with many professionals at various stages in their careers. I have been able to seek out mentorship, and connect peers and veterans of our industry beyond projects.
Sometimes we can get stuck in our own bubble and forget how we as individuals are affecting the built environment. I think the greatest thing about connecting and taking action with these groups, is that it reminds me that we’re all part of a larger community, a small piece of a big puzzle– and beyond the specifications, the drawings, and the finishes are the people.
Erike De Veyra is a board member of the Center for Architecture + Design and the Philadelphia University (PhilaU) Alumni Association; a member of the DesignPhiladelphia (DP) Steering Committee, Community Design Collaborative’s PlaySpace AdHoc Committee (and project volunteer), and PhilaU’s College of Architecture & Built Environment Advancement Council, Friends of Moffet; the Marketing & Communications Chair and Fast Forward >> Philly (DP event) Co-Organizer for the Philadelphia Emerging Architects committee of AIA Philadelphia; and assists in organizing PARK(ing) Day Philadelphia, part of worldwide event to raise awareness of public spaces.