- Sacred Spaces Civic Places Event - with CICADA and St. James School
- Come visit us!
- Early Learning Gets Physical
- Architects Action Day 2017
- Shaping the Visitor Experience
- CICADA's Geoff Klein Receives Architectural License!
- Collaborative Firm Volunteer for Mixed-Use Building
- Celebrating 10th PARK(ing) Day Philadelphia
- We're Hiring!
- Kebony's Top 100 Architecture Firm Blogs
- Community Revitalization: How to Bring a Community Back from the Brink, In the Age of Gentrification
- Project HOME's Hub of Hope Doors Open January 2018
- Phase I of Rivera Recreation and Mann Older Adult Center Breaks Ground
- Mary Holland, AIA recently attended the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Summit in Washington, D.C. Here’s her takeaway
- Benchmark School INNOVATION SPACE Groundbreaking
- Dox Thrash House
- We're Hiring!
- Work at PHA's Mann Rivera - Phase 1 Under Way!
- Leverage 2018 Sponsorship and Gala!
- CICADA Designer Dana Rice on RePoint Philadelphia and Preservation in Design and Development
- Offering Hope to the Homeless with Hub of Hope
- PHA's North Central Phase II Site Visit!
- Mary Holland at SCUP in Nashville TN
- CICADA and DesignPhila Open Studio Crawl!
- CICADA at the 22nd Annual Bowling Ball!
- Ribbon Cutting at Vernon Road Shopping District
- PHA's North Central II is Looking Good!
- Benchmark School's Innovation Space Ribbon Cutting!
- Celebrating the Challenge of Difficult Spaces
- NGBS Task Force
- Revitalizing North Central Philadelphia
- Philadelphia University Advancement Council
- Abandoned Woolworth + Leap of Faith = School for City Kids
- How You Make an Impact
- PennDesign Women in Architecture
- Passive House Designers
- Accessibility in Older Buildings
- Quality Child Care Space
- Analyzing Wall Assemblies
- Buildings As Radiators
Celebrating 10th PARK(ing) Day Philadelphia
The number of parks throughout Philadelphia increases dramatically each year on the third Friday in September, when activists, artists, architects, and other citizens transform metered parking spaces into temporary public parks. Known as PARK(ing) Day, this annual event re-imagines the possibilities of 170 square feet of public space. The event celebrates parks and other public spaces in cities across the country, and raises awareness of the need for more pedestrian-friendly spaces in our urban areas. PARK(ing) Day was founded by Rebar, a San Francisco art and design studio, in 2005 to raise awareness of the need for green spaces in urban environments.
2017 was especially unique, as this year was the tenth year that Philadelphia celebrated PARK(ing) Day with 60+ parklets, and 70+ organizations. For CICADA, it was our second time participating and we were excited to join in on the fun. With Dana Rice, Assoc. AIA, heading up our efforts this year, we started planning and construction earlier that we were able to collect materials to be reused for the parklet. CICADA was one of three teams that participated in the Design Review hosted by the Community Design Collaborative. We had a prime location, on the 1500 block of Walnut Street, with more visitors than we experienced last year.
This year’s concept takes on the iconic Philadelphia stoop and the appreciation of our neighbors. We’re reusing materials, including the paper from our recycling bins! Staged as a block party visitors are welcome to make recycled paper bricks to our conversation garden wall, or play with ready made bricks to build your own spaces or construction paper lanterns, or simply hang out and share what you like most about your neighborhood.
Happy PARK(ing) Day Philadelphia!
Photographs by CICADA staff and Kendon Photography